Skip to content
Home » What Are The Current Rules Of Importing Products of Animal Origin?

What Are The Current Rules Of Importing Products of Animal Origin?

This includes the food groups listed below:

meat, such as fresh meat and cuts of minced or minced beef chicken meat rabbit, game meat from the wild and farmed game meat

Eggs and egg-related products containing eggs

Milk and milk-related products

honey gelatine and gelatine products

Importing a composite product that contains animal products must comply with similar regulations.

Composite products are:

food products that contain processed animal products as well as products that are of plant origin, such as, for instance salami

in which that processing process for the original product is vital in the creation of the final food product

Importing into GB

Anyone involved in importing products derived from animals to GB must

Notify the BCP of the border control point (BCP) prior to the the arrival from any POAO consignments

Submit the appropriate documents submit the relevant documentation to the BCP with the initial health certification. The type of certificate required depends on the type of product and the country of origin.

Bring the items and BCP BCP for veterinary inspections to be carried out

pay all costs associated with an inspection. items and retain the CHED issued at approval, for a period of one year starting from the first destination point for goods to GB

Food supplements that are designed for consumption by the consumer with glucosamine or chondroitin or chitosan, don’t have to be imported via an Border Inspection Post and are not subject to veterinary inspections.

It is crucial to notify officials in Great Britain before products of animal origin arrive in EU as well as non-EU nations. Importers and import agents should make use of the online import system for animal products, foods, and feed system.

Posts for Border Control

Border Control Posts (BCPs)handle products from animals that are coming into UK. They must be exhibited at designated BCPs for veterinary inspections to be conducted.

Products that do not pass these tests are not allowed to enter the UK and could be destroyed.

For a complete list of controls, see the Commission Decision 2007/275/EC

Importing test food samples that contain POAO

This includes honey, meat or dairy products. These include honey, meat, and dairy.

If you wish to import POAO samples You must determine what amount is allowed and then fill out an authorization form. For more details, please inquire with Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

If APHA offers you an authorization exempting your item or product from being inspected through Border Inspection Posts, then these samples can be imported into GB without the requirement to be accompanied by a certificate. However, they should be accompanied by the original authorization form.

If they are going to be used for taste testing it is essential that they are safe for human consumption as well as

It is not possible to be contaminated
must be from a country that has been approved
They have been treated with heat
Consumption is restricted to employees and customers of trade (i.e. representatives of companies who may acquire future goods) who are required to be informed that the product has not been subjected to import food inspections in the Border Control Post on entry into the UK. Authorisations cannot be issued to samples for evaluation by the general public.

Importers should make sure that their products are safe and legal prior to when they purchase from producers and then imported into UK So, they might want to test their goods prior to taking them into the UK for import.

Public Analysts are highly skilled scientists, can examine whether food products comply with the food safety standards through chemical analysis or through the arrangement of microbiological testing however there isn’t a obligation for importers to perform this.

Additionally, there are numerous other labs in GB and around the world that could perform the tasks that importers could require. The importer can later arrange for the report of analysis to be the basis for the quality control procedures on their suppliers.


There are regulations regarding the movement of products that are that originate from animals from one country to a different third as well as traveling through Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) which is called ‘landbridge’ movement. The information about transits was given by DEFRA